Compost products and services are available at the Recycling Center Main Office during the posted office hours. All purchases must be paid for prior to loading. Compost is created from incoming yard materials that are blended, turned and monitored until they reach maturity for use as a compost. Wood mulch is created from incoming brush.
Due to Covid-19 precautions, we are allowing one customer in the office at a time. If someone is ahead of you, then you may need to wait outside until it is your turn. Use of a face covering is strongly encouraged. Hand sanitizer is available at the entrance. Please do not visit the if you are sick and experiencing symptoms.
We are still offering prepaid contact-less loading for customers who prefer this. The details are listed below but contact the main office at 683-4333 if you have questions.
Prepaid Contact-less Loading:
- Mail your payment in with required information
- Product and volume
- Name, address
- Phone number
- Vehicle make/model/plate#
- Return address or email if a receipt is desired
- Minimum order of 1 cubic yard screened compost ($15) and 1 cubic yards wood mulch ($10) per visit.
- Due to the extra labor involved with prepaid loading we are not selling small quantities at the moment.
- The minimum order applies to each visit.
- We are not offering to load small quantities of unscreened compost at this time. Unscreened compost is available for free at the south side of the Basswood drop off area. You must shovel your own.
- Make sure your truck/trailer can safely carry the amount you are purchasing. A cubic yard of compost weights approximately 1500lbs, and 1 cubic yard of wood mulch weighs about 750lbs.
- When payment arrives we will contact you to schedule a pick up time.
- Arrive during the pickup timeframe and pull onto the truck scale up to the intercom.
- The scale attendant will prompt you for your name and plate#.
- They will verify your order.
- They will sound the buzzer and you can drive to the designated pile.
- A skid steer will come to load you.
- $15.00 per cubic yard
- $3.00 per bushel
- $130.00 per 6 cubic yards delivered within 10miles
- $155.00 per 6 cubic yards delivered outside of 10miles
Finished Compost(not screened)
- $3.00 per cubic yard
- $1.00 per bushel
- $58.00 per 6 cubic yards delivered within 10miles
- $83.00 per 6 cubic yards delivered outside of 10miles
- $10.00 per cubic yard
- $1.00 per bushel
- $100.00 per 6 cubic yards delivered within 10miles
- $125.00 per 6 cubic yards delivered outside of 10miles
This compost is available for $15.00 per cubic yard at the Recycling Center Main Office. Sifted compost has been run through a screen to remove large clumps and debris. Most people purchase compost to make new garden beds, condition the soil in old garden beds, add to potted plant mix, to seed lawns or as cover for filled areas. Screened compost must be purchased at the Recycling Center Main Office during normal operating hours prior to loading. Loading is generally available Monday-Friday 7:30am to 3:30pm only. There are a number of benefits to using sifted compost including:
- it contains more nutrients than topsoil
- it releases nutrients slowly as organic material breaks down
- it helps sandy soil retain moisture
- it helps loosen and break up clay soils
- it contains few weed seeds as these are typically destroyed during the composting process
Finished (non-screened) Compost
This compost is available for $3.00 per cubic yard at the Basswood Compost site. Finished compost has not been screened and contains large clumps and debris. Most people use finished compost as fill for ditches or low areas, especially where there will be another groundcover and plantings.
Wood Mulch is available for $10 per cubic yard the Basswood Compost Site. Most people purchase woodchips for a groundcover around trees, shrubs, landscaped areas, and playgrounds. Some people use our wood mulch as a filler in these projects and then cover them with more expensive colored woodchips. Using a mulch can be beneficial in a number of ways:
- it helps retain moisture in the soil
- it helps provide nutrients and organic matter as they deteriorate over time
- it can provide some protection from freezing
- it deters the growth of weeds
- it provides a border that helps simplify lawn care
- it can help slow soil erosion
Wood mulch must be purchased at the Recycling Center Main Office during normal operating hours prior to loading.
Loading is generally available for screened compost, finished compost and wood mulch Monday to Friday from 7:30am to 3:30pm. This service depends on the operating condition of the equipment, the availability of a qualified operator, and conditions in the compost site. Loading is limited to open bed trucks and trailers, dump trucks and open semi-trailers. The minimum purchase for loading is 1/4 cubic yard. Large loads are encouraged to call ahead to schedule a time. Recycling Center staff reserve the right to refuse loading any truck or trailer they believe to be unsafe or unable to handle the requested load.
Deliveries of woodchips, sifted and unsifted compost are available. There are 2 delivery zones. The delivery fee is $40.00 per load within 10 miles from the Manitowoc County Recycling Center. The delivery fee is $65.00 per load for locations greater than 10 milies from the Manitowoc County Recycling Center. Distances are determined by the shortest route available to the delivery truck. Deliveries can be scheduled by phone or in person at the main office. Be prepared to provide directions and specific instructions on where to dump material. Make sure the area is well marked and free from obstructions like shrubs, buildings, and power lines. Deliveries are not made outside Manitowoc County. Delivery wait times can vary from a few days to 2-3 weeks depending on demand, product availability, weather, and equipment.