Employment Assistance Opportunities
– A program to initial licensure as a secondary mathematics or science teacher.
- Employment Links – Employment assistance is available through many websites. Here you will find Wisconsin, military, veteran, and federal job boards as well as job search and entrepreneurial resources.
- Helmets to Hardhats - Helmets to Hardhats is a national program that connects National Guard, Reserve, and transitioning active-duty military members with quality career training and employment opportunities within the construction industry. Candidates can access information about careers and apprenticeships and the Helmet to Hardhats profile they complete helps communicate to hiring managers the transferable skills they acquired during their military service.
- Hire a Hero - An online social network to help the military community connect with caring volunteers, local events, and Military-friendly employers to better the chances for obtaining a dream job. Hire a Hero provides the platform for the general public to do more than just put a yellow ribbon on their car- a chance to actively say "thank you for your service" - while helping a hero network transition into a meaningful civilian career.
- Troops to Teachers - helps Wisconsin veterans obtain alternative teaching certification so they can obtain employment as teachers and teachers' aides. The Wisconsin Department of Veterans Affairs (WDVA) operates a placement office for the program, which is funded by the Department of Defense.
- Veterans In Piping – The United Association of Plumbers, Pipefitters and Sprinkler fitters (UA) has partnered with the U.S. military to create the UA Veterans In Piping (VIP) Program, which provides returning vets with 16 weeks of accelerated welding training.
- Wisconsin Women's Business Initiative – Learn about an economic development corporation that provides quality business education, technical assistance and access to capital for small businesses throughout Wisconsin.
Have the following available:
1. Form DD-214
2. Social Security number
3. Wisconsin Driver's License number (if you have one).
Veterans Hiring Preference Information
- Civil Service Preference (Federal) - Veterans who are disabled or who served on active duty during certain periods or campaigns are entitled to preference over non-veterans both in federal hiring and in retention during reductions in force.
- Candidates who pass an examination are ranked by their scores. Those eligible for preference are entitled to have 5 to 10 extra points added to a passing grade of 70% or higher. Qualified veterans with a VA-approved service-connected disability (SCD) rating of 10% or more are placed at the top of most civil service exam lists.
- Civil Service Preference (State) - Eligible veterans are entitled to an extra 10 points added to a passing score on a state civil service examination. Veterans with a VA-approved service-connected disability (SCD) rating are entitled to points added to their passing score. Spouses of certain disabled or deceased eligible veterans may also have points added to a passing score.
- Veterans with a 30% or greater SCD may be hired for a permanent, entry-level position with the State of Wisconsin on a noncompetitive basis. Check with the hiring agency for more information.