How do I set up an account to visit and/or apply money to an inmate’s account?


To interact with an inmate, one needs to set up and account through Inmate Canteen (how to videos are available on that site for you to view)

How does personal visitation work?



NOTE: Face to Face Visitations will end on 10/15/2017 @ midnight.

Video Visitations will start 10/16/2017 @ 7am.

ALL VISITORS will need to set up an account and ALL VISITORS must be approved by jail staff prior to visiting via lobby or home.

Family & friends can visit from the jail lobby kiosks (free of charge) OR from their home computer (a minimal charge will be applied)

VIDEO VISITATION HOURS: Kiosks will be available 7 am – 9 pm, daily.

All visitors must have photo ID and be checked in with jail staff.  Inmates will no longer be scheduled a time for video visitations. Visitation is on a first come, first serve basis.

Lobby Kiosk Visitors:

  • Children must be supervised at all times.
  • Sitting on the counter is not tolerated and good behavior is expected.      
  • Visits may be terminated due to disruptions, violations of rules, or safety and security violations of the jail, inmates or staff. Additionally, you will be removed from the inmate’s visitation privilege for a period of time starting with 30 days.
  • No writing materials, cell phones, cameras, food, beverages, bags/purses or smoking are allowed in the visitation room.
  • Lockers are supplied in the jail lobby for storage of these items.      
  • The length of your visit will be a 15 period of time with a maximum of 2(two) consecutive 15 minute periods per visit. The inmates’ classification level will determine the number of visits you are allowed per week.

All visitors will be required to show photo I.D. prior to visit.  Unless it is an emergency you may not leave the visitation room.  If you do leave the visitation area you must re-check in with Central Control.  Visits will be terminated in any case where the inmates or the visitor become disruptive. Visitors under the age of 18 will only be allowed to visit if they are immediate family, and must be accompanied by their parent or legal guardian in the visitation room.  Grandparents are not considered legal guardians unless they have legal custody of the child/children. 

Minimum Classification: 8 - 15 minute visits per week.
Medium Classification: 6 - 15 minute visits per week.
High Medium Classification: 4 - 15 minute visits per week.
Maximum Classification: 2 - 15 minute visits per week.

Inmates in discipline will not qualify for personal visits.  If an inmate is brought in on a new charge which requires a bail hearing, their visitation request will not be processed or approved until after their bail hearing.  Inmates may have unlimited immediate family visitors approved to visit.  Immediate family includes: father, mother, step-father, step-mother, brother, sister, spouse, grandparents, and the inmate's children.  They may also have 4 non-immediate family members to visit.  Non-immediate includes: step-brother, step-sister, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, uncles, aunts, cousins, nephews, nieces, and friends.  DO NOT CALL THE JAIL TO SEE IF YOU ARE APPROVED OR IF INMATE HAS VISITATION TIME REMAINING-THEY WILL NOT GIVE YOU THIS INFORMATION!

Is there contact visitation?

No, all personal visitation is non-contact.

Can you explain professional visits?

Professional visits include clergy, attorney, probation agents, and counselors. They are held daily during the following times:




You are expected to properly plan for the amount of time you will need with the inmate(s) as the times will be strictly adhered to.  This means you will be expected to leave at the end time for visitation or when requested. The jail operations rely on timing for safety and security of the jail including, but not limited to: meals, medications, other programs, etc.  There will be emergent situations that arise and to protect you and others in the jail you may be asked to discontinue the visit until the matter can be resolved.

If all visitation rooms are in use, or there is an emergent situation in the jail, you will be asked to wait in the jail lobby.  Alternatively, you may choose to return at another designated time. Jail programs including scheduled religious services, NA and AA will not be rescheduled and will resume at their designated times the following week. In order for a clergy person to have a one on one visit with an inmate they will need to be pre-approved and attend an orientation meeting with jail administration or their designee.  In order to process this information you will need to provide us with a photo I.D. and your Pastoral card from an accredited church.  Jail Administration will notify you when and if you are approved.  Attorneys must present their bar card and photo I.D. prior to any visits. Counselors must provide a photo I.D. and an employee work I.D. prior to any visits.

 How do I put money into an inmates' account? 

Money for PX/Canteen is not accepted at the jail lobby front window.  The Jail has a lobby kiosk which is used to deposit money into an inmate's account.  This kiosk accepts Master Card/Visa/Discover ($150.00 max per credit card transaction with a total of $500 per 30 day period including service fees) and cash in $5.00 increments.  Or you can add money to the account remotely (from your device).  You will need to bring an I.D. card or Driver's License to use the kiosk.  A binder is provided at the machine with the inmate's information you will need to make a deposit.  If the information for an inmate is not listed in the binder, the officer in Central Control will assist you with this information.  Money orders/cashier’s checks will need to be mailed to the inmate.

How do we receive phone calls from inmates?

There are phones located in the cellblocks for their use. All phone calls are collect calls only unless the inmate has purchased phone time with funds from their commissary account, which will allow them to call direct.  There is a 15 minute time limit set per phone call, so the inmate will need to redial each time the conversation has been terminated.  To set up an account or for any other phone problems you are experiencing you can call Securus at 1-800-844-6591 or visit their website

How do I get a phone message to an inmate?

No messages will be passed on to an inmate.  You will need to contact them through the mail/ email/ video visit.  You may want to set up a number and time of day for them to call you.  If there is nothing new then don't accept the call.

How do we send emails or SMS/text messages to an inmate?

You will need to set up an account (how to videos are available on that site for you to view). ALL Incoming/ Outgoing correspondences are scanned by a third party service provider and/or Manitowoc County Jail staff before transmission is complete. If a correspondence is flagged (contains questionable verbiage/ content), it will not be delivered.

How do I send an inmate mail?

Make sure you put their full name on the envelope. The address to send mail to:

Inmate's Name Manitowoc County Jail
1025 South 9th Street
Manitowoc, WI 54220

Your full legal name and return address must also be on the envelope or it will not be delivered to them. Any letter that does not contain a return address will be placed in their property for them upon their release. If there is no name but a return address, the letter will be returned to that address, the same as returning it to the sender.

How do we send an inmate books or magazines?

Soft covered books may be purchased and mailed directly from an on-line book store only. Books or magazines dropped off at the front counter will not be accepted.  Magazines are by subscription only.  An inmate can only possess 4 (books or magazines) in their cellblock.  Books or magazines that contain nudity, sexual acts, gang related material, or any other materials that may disrupt the safety or security of the jail are not allowed.

What items are available on the PX/Canteen?

There are several categories on the PX/Canteen order form. They are:

  • Hygiene Articles: Such as soap, shampoo, deodorant, toothpaste, etc.
  • Miscellaneous: Such as pencils, paper, stamped envelopes, radios, etc.
  • Candy: Such as candy bars, hard candies, etc.
  • Chips & Snacks: Such as chips, crackers, granola bars, ramen noodles, etc.
  • Liquids (instants): Such as coffee, juices, teas, etc.
  • Greeting Cards: For birthdays, and special occasions.
  • Clothing: Such as thermal tops and bottoms, and sweatshirts.

**All prices and items are subject to change. **

What if the inmate doesn't have any money, how can they purchase additional hygiene items?

An inmate must have $1.00 or less in his account for 5 days to be considered indigent.  An indigent county inmate may order indigent hygiene items each week.  In addition to the hygiene items they may order writing materials and envelopes. 

How do inmates get haircuts?

The inmate must submit a request for a haircut to the bookkeeper. They will then be placed on the haircut list if they have enough funds.  The inmate must be here one month to be eligible for an indigent haircut.  Subsequent indigent haircuts may be requested after 30 days from the previous haircut.  All qualifying indigent inmates will be billed for in-house haircuts at the time of the cut.  Indigent means you have $1.00 or less in your trust account for at least 5 days.

What if I have been sentenced and have Huber Law?

You can either pick-up a Huber Packet at the front counter of the jail or print one by going to the Huber Law section of our website.  Complete the forms in the packet then make contact with the Huber Officer at (920) 683-4945 to set up an appointment.  At this appointment the Huber Officer will prepare you and your paperwork for the day you report in to serve your sentence.

How do I apply for being a trusty?

Once in custody you must fill out a request slip to the trusty coordinator requesting to be a trusty.  You must be serving a sentence not less than 30 days in order to apply.  Each request will be handled or approved on a case by case basis.  Trusty duty is a privilege and not a right.

How do I apply for the Electronic Monitoring Program?

If you are sentenced to 25 days or more you will be required to complete 20% - 30% of your sentence in the jail prior to being placed on the program. SCRAM Continuous Monitoring works with a land line phone service or internet provider.  Application can be obtained from either the front counter of the jail or refer to Electronic Monitoring Program section of our website.  This will bring you to a printable application.  Print, complete, and return to the front counter of the jail.

What is VINE?

VINE is a free, 24-hour telephone service that allows you to check on the status of offenders in the custody of the Wisconsin County Jail System, and to register for automated notification when an offender is released or their custody status changes.  When you use WI-VINE, by phone or online, you can quickly find out whether the offender is still in custody.

How do I find who is currently in the Manitowoc County Jail?

Visit the Prisoner Listing page.

What criteria are used to determine the classification of an inmate and how often is it reviewed?

It is based on the type of current and past crimes they are charged with or have been found guilty of.  It is also based on their previous history and disciplines while in custody.  Their initial classification will not take place until they have been in custody for 72 hours.  After their initial classification it will come up for review.

Minimum Classification.....every 30 days Medium Classification.....every 30 days High Medium Classification.....every 30 days Maximum Classification.....every 15 days

How do I find out what prison an inmate was transferred to?

Do not call the jail.  You will need to contact Dodge Correctional Institution for the inmates’ current location.  Refer to Links and go to either the Dodge Correctional Institution or Find-an-Offender sites. 

If someone is being held on a probation hold what is there release date?

They have no release date until their probation agent sends a cancellation of the hold.  The jail has no advance knowledge of when this is going to happen.  You would have to refer all questions to their probation agent.  The local probation office phone number is (920) 683-4590.

How do I go about posting bail for someone?

If you are posting the bail prior to the inmate's bail hearing you may post it at the jail.  We will accept cash or personal checks which must be local (drawn from a banking institution within the state of Wisconsin).  The maximum amount a check can be written for is $500.00.  The check should be made payable to the Manitowoc County Clerk of Courts.  If you are not in Manitowoc you may post it at your local Sheriff's Department; however, we will only accept cash as a form of payment.  Check with your local agency as they may charge fees to process the transaction.  You must also have a valid identification card or driver's license when posting bail.  If you are at the Manitowoc County Jail and request to post bail or pay fines for charges from another county agency, we will require payment in cash.  If you want to post bail for an inmate who has had a bail hearing for charges which occurred in Manitowoc County, you may post it at the Manitowoc County Clerk of Courts office during regular business hours (Monday-Friday 8:30am-4:30pm).  After hours or on holidays you may post it directly at the jail.

Will I get the money back that I posted for someone's bail?

Not necessarily, if the defendant fails to show up for court the monies could be forfeited or could be used to pay fines and court costs.

Are inmates represented by anyone at their bail hearings?

All inmates are given the opportunity to speak with, and be represented by, a public defender at their bail hearings.  The courts will provide an interpreter if they do not speak English.

What do I need to know about an inmate and their court appearances?

Persons brought in on new charges or warrants will make a bail hearing at 12:45 pm the next business day following their arrest.  The public may view the bail hearings from Room B-15 in the basement of the Manitowoc County Courthouse, 1010 South 8th Street.  The inmate will appear via video from the jail.

For those inmates that do not have their own attorney for their bail hearing, the State Public Defender may represent them in court.  The Public Defender comes to the jail to interview inmates that are scheduled for a bail hearing that day.

Do Not Call the jail after the bail hearing to find out if or when an inmate is to be released.  If the court grants an inmates release after the bail hearing, the releasing process will only begin once all bail hearings are completed for that day, after the Clerk of Court has completed all release paperwork, and after it has been reviewed with the inmate(s) getting released.  The jail priorities and staffing also plays a part in the timeliness of their release.

Jail uniforms will be worn for court appearances.  The exception to this is if the inmate has a jury trial or the inmate has Huber Law and going to court without an officer escort.

The court schedules all court appearances for individual inmates.  To find out dates and times please contact the Clerk of Circuit Court at (920) 683-4030 or log onto Wisconsin Courts.

Inmates, family, or friends are not allowed to pass things to each other during court.  Visitation with the inmate shall not take place during the court hearing.

What does it mean when someone is on a hold from another county?

This means that we are holding the inmate for that agency.  They are held here until the agency comes to pick them up for transport to their facility.

What do I need to know about the Health Services Unit?

Refer to the Health Services Unit page for information regarding the guidelines you will need to know about medical care during your incarceration.

Can I make a doctor's appointment for an inmate?

No. All medical, eye, and dental appointments must be made through the Health Services Unit.  Please refer to Health Services Unit page for a set of printable guidelines reference medical issues. The Health Services Unit will coordinate the appointment transport with correctional staff.

What types of programs are offered at the jail?

Bible study, AA/NA is offered to all inmates except those who are classified as a maximum or high medium. Maximum or high medium inmates will be given a Bible or other approved religious book if they request it.  Sentenced inmates who are not classified as maximum or high medium will be allowed to participate in the following programs offered by Lutheran Social Services: Anger Management/Life Skills and Employability Skills.  Sentenced inmates who are not classified as maximum or high medium will be allowed to participate in the following programs offered by Lakeshore Technical College at the jail: Adult Basic Education, GED/ HSED, and Employability Skills.  It is the inmates’ responsibility to sign up or request these opportunities.

What items does the jail provide the inmates?

All inmates are provided with 7 sets of underwear, t-shirts, bras, and socks to wear while inside the jail facility. They are issued an initial hygiene package upon their booking.  The hygiene package contains a toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, soap, shampoo, and a comb.  This initial hygiene package and any additional supplies ordered off of PX/Canteen will be charged to the individual inmates account.

What items may be dropped off at the jail?

You may drop off (non-expired) prescription medications in the original bottles only, no narcotics.  You can also drop off glasses with soft case, contacts, and dentures.  Clothing may be dropped off for Huber inmates to wear out to work, or for an inmate to wear to his/her jury trial.

Can I work off my court ordered Community Service hours while in custody?

Certain stipulations may apply. You will need to contact the program coordinator at (920) 683-5078. Each situation will be handled on a case by case basis.

Can I get married while in custody at the Manitowoc County Jail?

Weddings may be allowed while a person is incarcerated in the Manitowoc County Jail when the proper requirements are met. It is the inmate's responsibility to make a written request to Jail Administration so the proper action can be taken.